Mount Kaputar National Park
For spectacular scenic views of remote volcanic mountains, steep Barraba track offers mountain biking, walking, and a 4WD tour in Mount Kaputar National Park, near Narrabri.
- Mount Kaputar National Park
- 8km one-way
- Time suggested
$10 fee and $40 refundable deposit for 4WD permit and key.
- What to
- Sunscreen, hat, drinking water
- Please note
- 4WD use of this track requires a key and permit with very specific conditions which may effect journey time, routes and availability.
- This track is closed during wet weather. Please check the park alerts for this track's status before setting out on your journey.
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching
If you hanker for the rugged beauty of wild and remote places, then Barraba track in Mount Kaputar National Park, near Narrabri, will definitely get your heart pumping. Stretching from Kaputar plateau to the secluded eastern boundary, this steep track boasts spell-binding clifftop views. There’s no reward without effort, and this limited access track will challenge experienced mountain bikers and walkers alike.
Ascending the rocky track, stringybarks and blackbutts give way to majestic snow and mountain gums. You’ll pass lush ferns and grass trees before arriving at the summit, where you’ll glimpse the dramatic volcanic landscape of Mount Dowe and Lindsay Rock Tops, through the trees.
If you’re cycling or walking, enjoy a hearty picnic lunch, before heading back down. If driving, round off your trip with a visit to picturesque Horton Falls.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.
- in Mount Kaputar National Park in the Country NSW region
Mount Kaputar National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.