Mount Kaputar National Park
For spectacular scenic views of remote volcanic mountains, steep Barraba track offers mountain biking, walking, and a 4WD tour in Mount Kaputar National Park, near Narrabri.
- Mount Kaputar National Park in Country NSW
- 8km one-way
- Time suggested
$10 fee for 4WD permit.
- Entry fees
If driving, you’ll need to buy a vehicle permit to use Barraba track. Day use vehicle permits can only be bought online or by calling the National Parks Contact Centre on 1300 072 757. You’ll receive the gate code in your confirmation email.
- What to
- Sunscreen, hat, drinking water
- Bookings are required for vehicle entry. Book online or call the National Parks Contact Centre on 1300 072 757.
- Please note
- 4WD use of this track requires a gate code and permit with very specific conditions which may affect journey time, routes and availability.
- This track is closed during wet weather. Please check the park alerts for this track's status before setting out on your journey.
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you're well-prepared for your visit.
- Barraba track is a multi-use track and if driving you must proceed with caution. Please look out for oncoming traffic, bicycles and pedestrians.
If you'd like to explore a quieter and more remote area of Mount Kaputar National Park, then Barraba track offers a unique scenic experience. Stretching from Dawson's Spring on the Kaputar Plateau to the secluded eastern boundary of the park, Barraba track passes through a series of strikingly different vegetation and drops 360 metres in elevation.
At the western end of the track, on the Kaputar Plateau, you'll find snow gums and towering mountain gums dominating the sub-alpine environment. As you approach the middle section of the track you'll see grass trees and lush tree ferns. And between the John Perry picnic area and the boundary of the park you'll discover stringybarks and blackbutts forming a tall, shady forest.
The impressive range of vegetation on display isn't the only highlight of Barraba track though. You'll also be treated to glimpses of the dramatic landscape of Mount Dowe and Lindsay Rock Tops through the trees.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles.
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.
- in Mount Kaputar National Park in the Country NSW region
Mount Kaputar National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.