Tomaree National Park
Wreck Beach is in Tomaree National Park at the end of Wreck Beach walk. It’s a peaceful little cove with beautiful sand, perfect for whale watching or just a barefoot stroll along the seashore.
You can spot pretty Wreck Beach from the lookout at Tomaree Headland Summit. Tucked behind the seaside community of Shoal Bay, it’s a popular place for locals to go for a dip or to catch some waves.
Wreck beach is unpatrolled, so be careful when surfing or swimming here.
To reach the beach from Verona Road in Shoal Bay, follow the track onto the fire trail, then continue along Wreck Beach walk. Take care as some sections of the trail have steep steps. After passing through lush angophora forest you’ll reach the small cove of Wreck Beach, with its pristine sand and open views of the ocean.
Wreck Beach walk
The short walk to Wreck Beach offers a private alternative to the beaches of Port Stephens, with opportunities for picnicking and whale watching.
Box Beach is a surf spot located between Fingal Bay and Shoal Bay in Tomaree National Park. Use caution when swimming at this isolated and peaceful beach.
These maps give a basic overview of park attractions and facilities, and may not be detailed enough for some activities. We recommend that you buy a topographic map before you go exploring.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Nelson Bay office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4984 8200
- Level 1, 12B Teramby Road, Nelson Bay NSW 2315
- in Tomaree National Park in the North Coast region
Tomaree National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (89)
- 4WD touring (4)
- Aboriginal culture (9)
- Adventure sports (3)
- Beach (9)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (41)
- Canoeing/paddling (10)
- Cultural heritage (1)
- Cycling (14)
- Fishing (18)
- Historic heritage (16)
- Horse riding (2)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (22)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (3)
- Sightseeing (25)
- Snorkelling and scuba (2)
- Surfing (8)
- Swimming (15)
- Walking (36)
- Waterfalls (1)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)