The Newnes Plateau Cliffs
Gardens of Stone National Park
All the practical information you need to know about The Newnes Plateau Cliffs.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
The Newnes Plateau Cliffs are in the southern precinct of Gardens of Stone National Park. To get there:
- From Lithgow, follow the State Mine Road northeast to join Gully Road.
- Continue onto Glow Worm Tunnel Road just past Bungleboori picnic area (State Forest area)
- Follow Glow Worm Tunnel Road through the pine plantations into Gardens of Stone National Park
- The Newnes Plateau Cliffs are located to the east with Wollemi National Park to the west
Park entry points
- Newnes Plateau Cliffs access See on map
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- 4WD required in wet weather
There is no parking at The Newnes Plateau Cliffs but you can stop along Glow Worm Tunnel Road to explore the cliff edge; but take extra care – it is unfenced.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Gardens of Stone National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Experience the wonder of the spring bird migrations and enjoy the flowering season for many of the plant species of the park.
Though you need to be prepared for hot weather, this can be a great time to explore the pagodas as deep shade falls between them and in the canyons, making for dramatic photographs.
The light in the mountains is beautiful in winter. Take crystal clear scenic photos from your vantage point on the cliff tops or just marvel at how far you can see from up here.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
8°C and 25°C
0°C and 9°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Maps and downloads
- Oberon office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6336 6200
- 38 Ross Street, Oberon NSW 2787