Major Clews Hut trail
Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Major Clews Hut trail.
Getting there and parking
Major Clews Hut trail is located in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park.
To get there from Khancoban:
- Travel south along Alpine Way for around 17km and turn right onto Major Clews trail
To get there from Jindabyne:
- Travel west along Kosciuszko Road for 3km and turn left onto Alpine Way
- Continue along Alpine Way for 98km and turn off to the left onto Major Clews Hut trail
- Check the weather before you set out as Major Clew Hut trail is unsealed, steep in parts, can become boggy when it rains, and involves a small creek crossing. It's not recommended for 2WD vehicles.
- It's compulsory for all 2WD vehicles to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on Alpine Way between Tom Groggin and Thredbo. The Roads and Maritime Service (RMS) recommends snow chains are carried by all vehicles driving in the park in winter, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Visit the Live Traffic website for current conditions.
Parking is available at the Major Clews Hut site.
The nearest toilet facilities and picnic areas are located at Scammells lookout and Geehi Flats campground and picnic area.
Maps and downloads
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
Firewood is not supplied and may not be collected from the park. Please bring a gas or fuel stove if you intend to cook.
If you're travelling through a national park or reserve on a public road you can have pets inside your vehicle. However, you must keep them inside your vehicle while driving through national parks or reserves. You must also comply with any conditions in the park’s plan of management, and you cannot stop to visit the park or use park facilities (unless for safety reasons, or to use publicly accessible toilets).
NSW national parks are no smoking areas. The alpine resorts of Thredbo, Perisher, Charlotte Pass, Selwyn, Ski Rider and Kosciuszko Tourist Park are exempt, though some commercial and outdoor places within these resorts may have no smoking areas.
- Khancoban Visitor Centre
- Winter (June to September): Open 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm on weekends. Rest of year: Open 9am to 4pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6070 8400
- 2 Scammel Street, Khancoban NSW 2642
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Single and Multi-Day passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines, or via the Park'nPay app.Buy annual pass