Stay safe near waterfalls
Waterfalls can offer amazing photo opportunities as well as being fun and adventurous places to cool off after a long, hot walk.
Read more about Stay safe near waterfalls
Please take note of the following safety tips and stay safe around waterfalls:
- Stay behind railings and barriers - they are preventing you from falling over the edge.
- Rocks and paths around waterfalls can be extremely slippery and are not suitable for walking. Please observe any signage.
- Don't jump into pools at the base of waterfalls if you cannot see the bottom of the rock pool and have not checked for submerged objects.
- Never swim alone - ensure that someone is with you at all times to provide help if you need it.
- Long periods without rain will affect the amount of water flowing over waterfalls, so you may not be able to swim or collect water for treatment or drinking.
- Take extra care after heavy rain, as waterfalls can carry large amounts of rushing water and are usually not safe to cross or swim under.
- Waterfalls are often remote and the water may not be suitable for drinking. Be sure to take enough bottled water for your trip.