Waterfalls can offer amazing photo opportunities and are adventurous places to cool off after a long, hot walk. Please take note of these tips to stay safe around waterfalls:
Read more about Waterfall safety
- Stay behind railings and barriers—they are preventing you from falling over the edge.
- Rocks and paths around waterfalls can be extremely slippery and are not suitable for walking.
- Don't jump into pools at the base of waterfalls if you cannot see the bottom of the rock pool and have not checked for submerged objects.
- Never jump into waterfalls from heights.
- Never swim alone—ensure that someone is always with you to provide help if you need it.
- Drought periods will reduce the amount of water flowing over waterfalls.You may not be able to swim or collect water for treatment or drinking.
- Take extra care after heavy rain, as waterfalls can carry large amounts of rushing water and are usually not safe to cross or swim under.
- Waterfalls are often remote and the water may not be suitable for drinking. Be sure to take enough bottled water for your trip.
- Be aware of currents and under currents.