School excursionSpecial Offer
A local ecosystem at Bonnie Vale
Stage 6 (Years 11-12), Senior Science, Royal National Park
Senior science students will hone their fieldwork skills in this Stage 6 (Years 11-12) science excursion in Royal National Park. Located on the Hacking River estuary, Bonnie Vale is an ideal site for studying wetlands as 'a local ecosystem'.
Read more about A local ecosystem at Bonnie Vale
Bonnie Vale is a popular riverside picnic area. It's well known for its diverse vegetation, clear water and abundant wildlife.
Here, senior science students will investigate the mangroves of Cabbage Tree Basin to measure environmental conditions. They'll observe specialised adaptation features of plants and animals and examine co-dependencies that enhance their chance for survival.
This excursion provides a unique opportunity for students to use a variety of fieldwork sampling techniques. Students will gather diverse data and obtain a solid understanding of this fragile and important ecosystem.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 6 (Years 11-12)|
|Key learning area||Senior Science|
P7. Explains relationships between organisms in the environment.
P12. Discusses the validity and reliability of data gathered from first-hand investigations and secondary sources.
Weekdays during school term
- Available on request.
- Bonnie Vale picnic area, Royal National Park
- Easy. Guided activities along a bush track, next to a fresh water pond, in the mangroves and at the edge of the water.
$28 per student for groups of 25 or more. GST included. For smaller groups conditions apply.
- No wheelchair access
- Meeting point
- Bonnie Vale picnic area approximately 100m along Sea Breeze Lane.
- Yes. All equipment is provided.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Sydney South
- 02 9542 0649
- PO Box 144, Audley NSW 2232
- in Royal National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and South Coast regions
Royal National Park is open 7am to 8.30pm but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. Seasonal ticket booths at Wattamolla and Garie Beach - cash and credit card facilities available. Please bring correct change. There's also coin and card operated pay and display machines to buy day passes.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy annual pass