Ecosystems at risk
Stage 6 (Years 11-12), Geography, Dorrigo National Park
Info for teachers
Everything you need to know about Ecosystems at risk.
- Group meets at Dorrigo Rainforest Centre - welcome by Discovery Rangers.
- Presentation by Discovery Ranger, summarising main natural and human impacts which put the ecosystem at risk, and management strategies and plans to combat threats.
- Morning tea and toilet break
- Guided walk from Rainforest Centre to Crystal Shower Falls and return to The
- Glade Picnic Area (4.6km) for lunch.
- Optional addition of role-play exercise. (3 hrs)
What to bring
Please wear fully enclosed shoes and bring a hat, sunscreen, wet weather gear, and lunch which should be low waste with a refillable water bottle. Students should bring gear in a backpack or similar (not plastic bags).
Getting there and parking
Maps and downloads
Risk assessment and risk benefits
Our rangers and guides have the technical skill and experience to assess the risks and the benefits of a variety of activities delivered as part of our learning programs.
We believe in including opportunities that allow students to learn and experience for themselves through exploration in the natural environment.
Please make your own risk assessment based on the information provided. Detailed potential risks and controls are provided for the site to assist teachers in risk management planning. Teachers and carers should be aware of, and consider the needs, abilities and medical conditions of students when visiting this site. The supervision of students remains the responsibility of the teacher. The school must ensure an adequate number of adult supervisors are present.
Disability access level - medium
Sloping sections and steps on walking track. Not suitable for wheelchairs. Please let us know in advance if you are bringing someone with special needs so that we can plan accordingly.