School excursionSpecial Offer
Kinchega National Park field study
Stage 6 (Years 11-12), Biology, Kinchega National Park
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
Join a ranger in sampling abiotic factors and use these to assess the abundance and distribution of plants and animals on the floodplain sand dune interface, as part of the Preliminary Biology or Senior Science field studies.
Read more about Kinchega National Park field study
Explore the ecosystems within the oldest National Park in Western NSW to see how plants and animals have adapted to live on floodplains, sand plains and dune fields, overflow lake systems and lunettes.
Use practical techniques to measure factors including plant type and density, soil pH and moisture, light, slope and elevation. Investigate the landscape and geology of the area to gain a clear picture of the historical and environmental forces at play.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 6 (Years 11-12)|
- Subject to staff availability
- Kinchega Woolshed, Kinchega National Park
- Medium. Uneven surfaces and short steep sections. Wheelchair accessibility is hard.
$10 per student
- Meeting point
- Woolshed carpark
- No. Technical equipment and workbooks are provided. Students will need a pencil, a ruler, a smart device with suggested free downloads and a clipboard to lean on as well as a simple calculator.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Broken Hill
- 08 8080 3200
- 183 Argent Street, Broken Hill NSW
- in Kinchega National Park in the Outback NSW region
Kinchega National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park has a pay and display envelope payment system - please bring correct coins.Buy annual pass