Kinchega National Park
Visit the beautiful historic Kinchega Woolshed for a glimpse into Australian pastoral history and imagine the heyday of this place, where six million sheep were sheared.
- Historic buildings/places
- Kinchega National Park
- No bookings are required.
- Please note
- Tours of the woolshed are available during the Easter, winter and spring school holidays
- The weather in this area can be very hot in the summer months; please ensure you are well prepared for your visit
No visit to Kinchega National Park is complete without exploring the beautiful, old buildings of Kinchega Station. Built in 1875 of corrugated iron and river red gum, the historic Kinchega Woolshed is a vast and very well preserved classic piece of Australian pastoral heritage.
Inside the woolshed, you’ll see wool presses and tables, a machinery room and an original steam engine as well as sweating pens and the board where the sheep were held for shearing. In 97 years of operation, six million sheep were sheared here, an amazing thing to imagine as you wander through this quietly majestic building.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
NPWS is working with the Menindee Aboriginal Elders Council to protect the age-old Aboriginal heritage of this region through the Kinchega National Park Memorandum of Understanding and Joint Management Program.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Broken Hill office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed 1pm to 2pm.
- 08 8084 2880
- 183 Argent Street, Broken Hill NSW 2880
- in Kinchega National Park in the Outback NSW region
Kinchega National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park has a pay and display envelope payment system - please bring correct coins.Buy annual pass