School excursionSpecial Offer
Grand Canyon: Environmental change and management
Stage 5 (Years 9-10), Geography, Blackheath area
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
The spectacular Grand Canyon forms the backdrop for this Stage 5 (Years 9-10) geography excursion in Blue Mountains National Park. This in-depth fieldwork excursion is designed to support the Environmental Change and Management K-10 syllabus
Read more about Grand Canyon: Environmental change and management
Students will gain first-hand experience of the iconic Grand Canyon track on location in Blackheath. It's a renowned walk, and a key highlight of the World Heritage-listed Blue Mountains National Park.
From Neates Glen we'll journey through lush rainforest ecosystems, open forest and along the canyon floor towards Evans lookout. Here, students will be rewarded with sweeping views of the impressive Grose Valley.
We'll learn about track heritage, local ecology and park management issues. Students will analyse influences, connections and management approaches to sustaining this important environment.
This 4.5 hour excursion will explore how environments function and the causes and consequences of environmental change. Students will come away with first-hand insight into sustainable management of our precious environment here in New South Wales.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 5 (Years 9-10)|
GE5-2. Explains processes and influences that form and transform places and environments
GE5-4. Accounts for perspectives of people and organisations on a range of geographical issues
GE5-5. Assesses management strategies for places and environments for their sustainability
GE5-7. Acquires and processes geographical information by selecting and using appropriate and relevant geographical tools for inquiry
Monday to Friday during school term.
- Guided. Available on request.
- Grand Canyon track, Blackheath area
- 4hrs 30min
- Hard. 5km walk through uneven terrain. There is a steep descent and ascent via steps. The track may be wet in places and you may be required to cross a creek at the base of the canyon. There are many stairs, so a reasonable level of fitness is required.
$443 for a group of 20 students. GST included. Additional park staff will be required for groups of more than 20 students, and additional fees will apply.
- Meeting point
- Neates Glen carpark, 3km down Evans Lookout Road, Blackheath.
- Yes. We can provide a selection of worksheet questions for teachers to compile prior to the excursion for students.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Blue Mountains
- 02 4784 7301 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- 02 4782 6199
- in the Blackheath area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Blackheath area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.