School excursionSpecial Offer
Rainforests and waterfalls
Stage 3 (Years 5-6), Geography, Katoomba area
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
Experience the magic of the rainforest in this Stage 3 (Years 5-6) geography excursion in Blue Mountains National Park. Students will visit lush, temperate rainforests and waterfalls that were created and shaped over millions of years.
Read more about Rainforests and waterfalls
What are the factors that combine to create a rainforest? And which native plants and animals call this place home? These questions and many more will be answered on this guided tour through Katoomba's rainforest.
Groups can choose Round walking track in Katoomba Falls (2 hours). Or they can take the impressive Furber Steps down the cliffs and ascend on the Scenic Cableway (2.5 hours). Please note that the cost per student for these options varies.
Throughout this immersive experience, students will explore the diverse features and interconnectivity of the iconic Blue Mountains environment. They'll learn about NPWS's role in protecting and preserving this World Heritage-listed site for generations to come.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 3 (Years 5-6)|
GE3-1. Describes the diverse features and characteristics of places and environments
GE3-2. Explains interactions and connections between people, places and environments
GE3-3. Compares and contrasts influences on the management of places and environments
GE3-4. Acquires, processes and communicates geographical information using geographical tools for inquiry
Monday to Friday during school term
- Guided. Available on request.
- Furber Steps-Scenic Railway walking track, Katoomba area
- 2-2.5 hr
- Medium. Round walking track is a 680m walk with steep stairs and a short descent and ascent. Furber Steps are an impressive extension and require additional physical effort. A return ascent on the Scenic Cableway takes the effort out of the spectacular return trip. Groups should come prepared for a guided bushwalk and activities on an uneven surface. We'll pause at lookouts to take in the geography of the area.
$295 per group for up to 20 students (plus the cost of a one-way Scenic World Cableway ticket if this option is taken up). GST included. For groups of more than 20 students, additional park staff are required and additional fees will apply.
- Meeting point
- Katoomba Falls Kiosk
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Blue Mountains
- 02 4784 7301 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- 02 4782 6199
- in the Katoomba area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Katoomba area is always open but some locations may close at times due to maintenance, poor weather or fire danger.