School excursionSpecial Offer
What is a national park?
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), HSIE, Hunter Wetlands National Park
This excursion experience has been updated and is now being delivered in line with the new NSW Department of Education Curriculum. We will be revising this excursion's name and information online soon. Contact your local national parks office for more information about the updated excursion.
Read more about What is a national park?
This school excursion for Stage 2 (Years 3-4) HSIE students, explores the beautiful natural and built environments of Ash Island in Hunter Wetlands National Park. Learn about the history of the area and the impact of European settlement. Understand the role of workers in the park, and how you can help to conserve and protect this special place.
Hunter Wetlands National Park is an internationally significant (Ramsar-listed) wetland consisting of Kooragang and Shortland wetlands and a wildlife corridor connecting Ironbark Creek, the Hunter River and Ash Island. Extremely popular with birdwatchers, the park is home to over 100 bird species and 45 species of international migratory birds, and is a welcome refuge for them in times of drought.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
|Key learning area||HSIE|
GE2-1. Examines features and characteristics of places and environments
GE2-2. Describes the ways people, places and environments interact
GE2-4. Acquires and communicates geographical information using geographical tools for inquiry
Weekdays all year.
- Guided. Available on request. Subject to staff availability.
- Hunter Wetlands National Park
- Medium. Guided activities in a suburban national park, on formed and uneven bush walking tracks, and on a grassed picnic area.
$380 per group (includes GST). Maximum 30 students per group. For groups over 30 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Ash Island Schoolhouse carpark, Ash Island.
- Yes. All equipment is provided.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Newcastle Hunter
- 02 4946 4112
- 02 4946 4150
- Hunter Wetland Centre, Sandgate Road, Shortland NSW
- in Hunter Wetlands National Park in the North Coast region
Hunter Wetlands National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.