School excursionSpecial Offer
The Earth's environment
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), Geography, Hunter Wetlands National Park
Did you know that over 10 per cent of NSW is a national park? That’s over 7 million hectares. This Stage 2 (Years 3-4) Geography excursion is delivered Hunter Wetlands National Park.
Read more about The Earth's environment
Students will learn about the critical role NSW National Parks plays in conserving our unique native plants, animals and rich cultural heritage.
They’ll explore the significance of the environment at Hunter Wetlands National Park, a Ramsar-listed wetland, and the important interrelationships between humans and nature. They will learn about the history and culture of the Aboriginal people and their relationship with this country.
Students will learn about the critical role national parks play in preserving our unique native plants, animals and rich cultural heritage. With their guide, they'll explore this place that's home to over 100 types of birds and 45 species of international migratory birds.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
GE2-1. Examines features and characteristics of places and environments
GE2-2. Describes the ways people, places and environments interact
GE2-3. Examines differing perceptions about the management of places and environments
GE2-4. Acquires and communicates geographical information using geographical tools for inquiry
Weekdays all year.
- Guided. Available on request. Subject to staff availability.
- Medium. Guided activities in a suburban national park, on formed and uneven bushwalking tracks, and on a grassed picnic area.
$380 per group for 4 hours (includes GST). Shorter tours available. Maximum 30 students per group. For groups over 30 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Riverside Park in Hunter Wetlands National Park
- Yes. All equipment is provided.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Newcastle Hunter
- 02 4927 3267
- Hunter Wetland Centre, Sandgate Road, Shortland NSW
- in Hunter Wetlands National Park in the North Coast region
Hunter Wetlands National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.