The earth's environment
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), Geography, Hunter Wetlands National Park
Info for teachers
Everything you need to know about The earth's environment.
- Welcome, introductions, safety briefing and acknowledgement of Country – 15min
- Bushwalk to Scott’s Point – 40min
- Bushwalk to Riverside Park – 30min
- Morning tea – 15min
- Bushwalk investigating rehabilitation of the island – 30min
- Explore the diversity of life in the lagoons and along the mangrove boardwalk – 40min
- Lunch – 40min
- Role play looking at different jobs in NSW National Parks – 20min
- Conclusion and farewell – 10min
What to bring
Everyone needs to wear a hat and sunscreen, bring wet weather gear, and lunch which should be low waste with a refillable water bottle. Drinking water is available at the schoolhouse. Students should bring gear in a backpack or similar (not plastic bags).
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Riverside Park is in the Ash Island precinct of Hunter Wetlands National Park. To get there from Newcastle:
- Follow the Pacific Highway north towards Hexham
- Turn right onto Ash Island Bridge
- Follow the signs to Riverside Park
Maps and downloads
Risk assessment and risk benefits
Our rangers and guides have the technical skill and experience to assess the risks and the benefits of a variety of activities delivered as part of our learning programs.
We believe in including opportunities that allow students to learn and experience for themselves through exploration in the natural environment.
Please make your own risk assessment based on the information provided. Detailed potential risks and controls are provided for the site to assist teachers in risk management planning. Teachers and carers should be aware of, and consider the needs, abilities and medical conditions of students when visiting this site. The supervision of students remains the responsibility of the teacher. The school must ensure an adequate number of adult supervisors are present.
Disability access level - hard
Please let us know in advance if you are bringing someone with special needs so that we can plan accordingly