Sensing the rainforest
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), HSIE, Iluka Nature Reserve
Info for teachers
Everything you need to know about Sensing the rainforest.
- Take a break if required at public toilets in Spenser Street, Iluka.
- Meet at the entrance to Iluka Nature Reserve, Long Street, Iluka.
- Easy grade walk through the rainforest, with frequent stops for ranger-guided activities.
- Return to start and farewell rangers at Long Street, Iluka.
What to bring
Please wear long pants, closed comfortable shoes and bring a hat and sunscreen. Be ready for all weather conditions with a jumper and raincoat. And remember to bring food, water and any necessary medications.
It’s a good idea to pack your belongings in a backpack rather than a plastic bag because we have some curious birds who may try to break in and share your lunch with you.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
- Turn off the Pacific Highway onto Iluka Road, 38km south of Woodburn, or 10km north of the Clarence Bridge (near Maclean).
- At Iluka (17km from highway) turn left onto Spencer Street.
- Turn left onto Denne Street, then right onto Long Street.
- The carpark is adjacent to the Iluka Nature Reserve entrance in Long Street.
Park entry points
- Iluka carpark See on map
Parking is available.
Maps and downloads
Risk assessment and risk benefits
Our rangers and guides have the technical skill and experience to assess the risks and the benefits of a variety of activities delivered as part of our learning programs.
We believe in including opportunities that allow students to learn and experience for themselves through exploration in the natural environment.
Please make your own risk assessment based on the information provided. Detailed potential risks and controls are provided for the site to assist teachers in risk management planning. Teachers and carers should be aware of, and consider the needs, abilities and medical conditions of students when visiting this site. The supervision of students remains the responsibility of the teacher. The school must ensure an adequate number of adult supervisors are present.
Disability access level - easy
Assistance may be required to access some sections of Iluka Rainforest walk.