School excursionSpecial Offer
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), HSIE, Arakoon National Park
Explore the old granite gaol at Trial Bay and help to unlock mysteries of the past on the History Mysteries school excursion. This is a Stage 2 (Years 3-4) excursion to Arakoon National Park, focusing on HSIE.
Read more about History mysteries
Trial Bay Gaol is situated on a headland in Arakoon National Park. Discover how the Gaol has been used over time and experience what life was like for the German prisoners who were interned here during World War. Today, this picturesque historic ruin stands as a testament to those who lived and died here, with a museum and memorial for visitors to get a better idea of life in those days. You’ll find out about the lives of prisoners who once called Trial Bay Gaol home and what landed them there in the first place.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
HT2-2. Describes and explains how significant individuals, groups and events contributed to changes in the local community over time
HT2-4. Describes and explains effects of British colonisation in Australia
HT2-5. Applies skills of historical inquiry and communication
GE2-3. Examines differing perceptions about the management of places and environments
- Guided. Available on request. Weekdays during school term.
- Easy. Walking on tracks and paths around the gaol site.
$260 per group, which includes Gaol admission and your own ranger guide. Price includes GST. Max 30 students per group. For groups over 30 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- The main gates of Trial Bay Gaol, Arakoon National Park.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Port Macquarie
- 02 6588 5519
- NPWS Manning - Hastings Area Office, 22 Blackbutt Rd Port Macquarie NSW 2444
- in Arakoon National Park in the North Coast region
Arakoon National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.