School excursionSpecial Offer
Aboriginal culture: Ash Island
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), HSIE, Hunter Wetlands National Park
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
Aboriginal culture is a school excursion for Stage 2 (Years 3-4) HSIE students exploring the beautiful natural and built environments of Ash Island, part of Hunter Wetlands National Park. Through first-hand experiences learn about the culture of the Awabakal People, how they lived, what resources they used and the significance of the land and Dreamtime stories.
Read more about Aboriginal culture: Ash Island
Hunter Wetlands National Park is an internationally significant (Ramsar-listed) wetland consisting of Kooragang and Shortland wetlands and a wildlife corridor connecting Ironbark Creek, the Hunter River and Ash Island. Extremely popular with birdwatchers the park is home to over 100 bird species and 45 species of international migratory birds, and is a welcome refuge in times of drought.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
GE2-1. Examines features and characteristics of places and environments
GE2-2. Describes the ways people, places and environments interact
HT2-2. Describes and explains how significant individuals, groups and events contributed to changes in the local community over time
HT2-3. Describes people, events and actions related to world exploration and its effects
Weekdays all year.
- Hunter Wetlands National Park
- Medium. Guided activities in a suburban national park, on formed and uneven bush walking tracks, and on a grassed picnic area.
$380 per group (includes GST). Maximum 30 students per group. For groups over 30 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Ash Island Schoolhouse carpark, Ash Island.
- No. All equipment is provided.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Newcastle Hunter
- 02 4946 4112
- 02 4946 4150
- Hunter Wetland Centre, Sandgate Road, Shortland NSW
- in Hunter Wetlands National Park in the North Coast region
Hunter Wetlands National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.