School excursionSpecial Offer
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), Geography, Hunter Wetlands National Park
School excursions in NSW national parks
We are currently taking bookings for school excursions. Not all excursions are being delivered as per the usual program due to rules outlined by NSW Health. Alternative learning options with NPWS include online digital resources or incursions delivered at your school. Please contact your National Parks education contact or the relevant local park office for more information.
Experience Ash Island in Hunter Wetlands National Park through the eyes of an Aboriginal person on this Stage 2 (Years 3-4) Aboriginal culture geography excursion. Through first-hand experiences you'll learn about the culture of the Awabakal People.
Read more about Aboriginal culture
Hunter Wetlands National Park is an internationally significant (Ramsar-listed) wetland consisting of Kooragang and Shortland wetlands and a wildlife corridor connecting Ironbark Creek, the Hunter River and Ash Island. On this school excursion, students will go on a bushwalk, hear Dreamtime stories and take part in Aboriginal cultural activities. Through engaging with Aboriginal culture, students will learn why this place is important to the Awabakal People.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
GE2-1. Examines features and characteristics of places and environments
GE2-2. Describes the ways people, places and environments interact
GE2-3. Examines differing perceptions about the management of places and environments
GE2-4. Acquires and communicates geographical information using geographical tools for inquiry
Weekdays all year.
- Hunter Wetlands National Park in North Coast
- Medium. Guided activities in a suburban national park, on formed and uneven bushwalking tracks, and on a grassed picnic area.
$380 per group (includes GST). Maximum 30 students per group. For groups over 30 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Ash Island Schoolhouse carpark, Ash Island.
- No. All equipment is provided.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Newcastle Hunter
- 02 4927 3267
- Hunter Wetland Centre, Sandgate Road, Shortland NSW
- in Hunter Wetlands National Park in the North Coast region
Hunter Wetlands National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.