Sensing the rainforest at Dorrigo
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), Geography, Dorrigo National Park
Info for teachers
Everything you need to know about Sensing the rainforest at Dorrigo.
- Meet at Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- Welcome, acknowledgement of Country and safety briefing
- Walk 1km to The Glade picnic area
- Interpretation by NPWS guide summarising the main natural and human impacts which put this ecosystem at risk
- Interpretation of rainforest features through various sensing games along the track
- Return to The Glade picnic area for lunch and bus pickup
- Farewell and depart
What to bring
Please wear long pants, closed, comfortable shoes and bring a hat and sunscreen. Be ready for all weather conditions with a jumper and raincoat. Remember to bring extra food and water, and any necessary medications. Please bring your belongings in a backpack rather than a plastic bag.
Getting there and parking
Maps and downloads
Risk assessment and risk benefits
Our rangers and guides have the technical skill and experience to assess the risks and the benefits of a variety of activities delivered as part of our learning programs.
We believe in including opportunities that allow students to learn and experience for themselves through exploration in the natural environment.
Please make your own risk assessment based on the information provided. Detailed potential risks and controls are provided for the site to assist teachers in risk management planning. Teachers and carers should be aware of, and consider the needs, abilities and medical conditions of students when visiting this site. The supervision of students remains the responsibility of the teacher. The school must ensure an adequate number of adult supervisors are present.
Disability access level - medium
Activity path includes a medium gradient timber ramp about 30 metres long, narrow sealed tracks with some uneven sections.