School excursionSpecial Offer
The earth's environment
Stage 2 (Years 3-4), Geography, Blue Gum Hills Regional Park
Did you know that over 10 per cent of NSW is a national park? That’s over 7 million hectares. This Stage 2 (Years 3-4) earth’s environment Geography excursion is delivered at Blue Gum Hills Regional Park.
Read more about The earth's environment
Discover the significance of the environment at Blue Gum Hills Regional Park and the important interrelationships between humans and nature.
Students will look at why people visit this area and the many activities they can enjoy while learning about the critical role national parks play in preserving our unique native plants, animals and rich cultural heritage.
Students will learn about Aboriginal culture, their connection to Country and the importance of National Parks in protecting heritage.
We’ll look at some of the key, human-led threats to native species and places. By examining these threats we’ll invoke a strong sense of the role students - our future environmental leaders - can play in preserving these important places for the future.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 2 (Years 3-4)|
GE2-1. Examines features and characteristics of places and environments
GE2-2. Describes the ways people, places and environments interact
GE2-3. Examines differing perceptions about the management of places and environments
GE2-4. Acquires and communicates geographical information using geographical tools for inquiry
Weekdays (all year).
- Guided. Available on request.
- Medium. Guided activities in a suburban national park, on formed and uneven bush walking tracks, and on a grassed picnic area.
- 4 hours for $380 per group (includes GST). Shorter tours are available. Maximum 30 students per group. For groups over 30 conditions apply.
- Meeting point
- Blue Gum Hills Regional Park carpark, off Minmi Rd, Minmi.
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Newcastle Hunter
- 02 4927 3267
- Hunter Wetland Centre, Sandgate Road, Shortland NSW
- in Blue Gum Hills Regional Park in the North Coast region
Blue Gum Hills Regional Park is open 7.30am to 8pm during daylight savings (7.30am to 5pm at other times), but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.