School excursionSpecial Offer
Living Country, living culture
Stage 1 (Years 1-2), Geography, Katoomba area
Join us for Living Country, living culture – a Stage 1 (Years 1-2) geography excursion in and around Katoomba. Our Aboriginal guide will take students on a journey through traditional and contemporary culture.
Read more about Living Country, living culture
Students will learn how Aboriginal people have a strong connection to their environment, known as connection to Country.
Together we'll examine Aboriginal artefacts and learn of their uses. We'll explore the bush environment and discuss how specific plants were used for medicine and bush tucker. Students will take part in fun, hands-on activities such as ochre blending.
They'll leave with an appreciation of Aboriginal culture in this region.
This excursion is staged at several key areas in the Blue Mountains. Choose from:
- Three Sisters walk at Katoomba
- Wentworth Falls track at Wentworth Falls
- Fairfax Heritage walking track at Blackheath
- Red Hands Cave track at Glenbrook
This excursion is designed to support the Features of Places unit from the K-10 syllabus.
For program outline, safety and practical information about this excursion, see info for teachers
|Stage||Stage 1 (Years 1-2)|
|Key learning area||Geography|
GE1-1. Describes features of places and the connections people have with places
GE1-2. Identifies ways in which people interact with and care for places
GE1-3. Communicates geographical information and uses geographical tools for inquiry
Monday to Friday during school term
- Guided. Available on request.
- Katoomba area in Blue Mountains National Park
- 2-2.5 hr
- Medium. Wentworth Falls track, Three Sisters walk and Red Hands Cave walking track are medium grade. An easy grade option is available at Fairfax Heritage walking track.
$295 for a group of 20 students. GST included. For groups of more than 20 students, additional park staff are required and additional fees will apply.
- Meeting point
- Three Sisters walk: Lilianfels Park, outside the coach drop-off zone on Echo Point Road, Katoomba.
- Wentworth Falls track: Wentworth Falls picnic area at the end of Falls Road, Wentworth Falls.
- Fairfax Heritage walking track: Blue Mountains Heritage Centre, Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath.
- Red Hands Cave walking track: Red Hands Cave carpark located at the end of Red Hands fire trail
- If you would like to organise a NPWS school excursion please get in touch with local staff or use the 'Enquire' link for the online form.
- School excursion inquiries - Blue Mountains
- 02 4784 7301 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- 02 4782 6199
- in the Katoomba area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Katoomba area is always open but some locations may close at times due to maintenance, poor weather or fire danger.