Magpie Flat campground
High Plains area in Kosciuszko National Park
Magpie Flat campground is located along Blue Waterholes trail in the remote High Plains area of Kosciuszko National Park. There’s no winter road access between the June and October long weekends.
Bookings are required. Book online or call the National Parks Contact Centre on 1300 072 757.
Nichols Gorge walking track
The 7km Nichols Gorge walking track, suitable for experienced hikers, follows Cave Creek and passes some karst features before rejoining Blue Waterholes trail.
Blue Waterholes campground
Escape to Blue Waterholes campground, the perfect spot to enjoy the great outdoors, with hiking, caves and Kosciuszko National Park's northern wilderness on its doorstep.
These maps give a basic overview of park attractions and facilities, and may not be detailed enough for some activities. We recommend that you buy a topographic map before you go exploring.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Tumut Region Visitor Centre
- 9am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6947 7025
- The Old Butter Factory, 5 Adelong Road, Tumut NSW 2720
- in the High Plains area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
Long Plain Road and Tantangara Road (beyond the dam wall) are closed in winter from June to October long weekends. This period may be extended so it’s a good idea to contact the Tumut Visitor Centre. Areas may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
No park entry fees apply in the High Plains area. See vehicle entry fees for other areas in Kosciuszko National Park.Buy annual pass
Things to do (64)
- 4WD touring (2)
- Adventure sports (6)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (2)
- Cafes and kiosks (1)
- Cycling (9)
- Fishing (4)
- Historic heritage (6)
- Horse riding (3)
- Other experiences (3)
- Picnics and barbecues (5)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (5)
- Show cave tours (6)
- Sightseeing (6)
- Snow sports (13)
- Swimming (7)
- Visitor centres (3)
- Walking (24)
- Waterfalls (3)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (4)