Hungry Gate campground
Hat Head National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Hungry Gate campground.
Getting there and parking
- Take the South West Rocks road to Kinchela
- Turn right onto Hat Head Road and continue to Hat Head
- Just before the bridge over turn right onto Gap Road
- Take the first right and then follow signs to Hungry Gate campground
The road is 3km of gravel.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at the Hungry Gate campground.
Best times to visit
This park's sweeping beaches are extremely inviting during summer, but its wildlife and walking tracks make it a joy to visit all year round.
A birdwatcher's delight as the heath shrubland bursts into a kaleidoscope of wild flowers and birds come from all around, listen out for the guttural call of glossy black cockatoos.
Take the Connors track beach walk to experience wildflower displays amongst the banksias .
Spot humpback and southern right whales migrating to northern waters between May and July.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
19°C and 26°C
13°C and 20°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Water is not available at this campground
- There are some rubbish bins available at this campground, but please take any left over rubbish with you
- Non-flush toilets
Maps and downloads
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
Campfires are not permitted on the ground. Please bring your own fire pit or brazier to ensure fires are kept off the ground.
Gathering firewood from the park is prohibited. Please bring your own firewood including kindling.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.