Cooinbil Hut campground
High Plains area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Cooinbil Hut campground.
Getting there and parking
Cooinbil Hut campground is in the Long Plain precinct of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there:
From Tumut Visitor Centre:
- Drive along Snowy Mountains Highway for 72.8 km, and then turn left onto Long Plain Road.
- Drive along Snowy Mountains Highway for 56.2 km, and then turn right onto Long Plain Road.
- Follow Long Plain Road for approximately 14km, then turn right to reach Cooinbil Hut campground.
- There's no vehicle access to this campground in winter, and roads may close in extreme weather.
- Check the weather before you set out as Long Plain Road can become boggy when it rains.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available for larger vehicles and trucks catering for horse riders.
Rubbish bins are not available – please take rubbish with you when leaving.
- Non-flush toilets
- Fire rings (bring your own firewood)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
Hard access is via steps or a steep slope, or you'll have to move across a rough surface with obstacles such as potholes, tree roots, and rocks. Assistance will be necessary.
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
Firewood is not provided and may not be collected from the park.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas. The alpine resorts of Thredbo, Perisher, Charlotte Pass, Selwyn, Ski Rider and Kosciuszko Tourist Park are exempt, though some commercial and outdoor places within these resorts may have no smoking areas.
- in the High Plains area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
Long Plain Road and Tantangara Road (beyond the dam wall) are closed in winter from June to October long weekends. This period may be extended so it’s a good idea to contact the Tumut Visitor Centre. Areas may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
No park entry fees apply in the High Plains area. See vehicle entry fees for other areas in Kosciuszko National Park.Buy annual pass