Montague Island Head Lighthouse Keeper's Cottage
Montague Island Nature Reserve
All the practical information you need to know about Montague Island Head Lighthouse Keeper's Cottage.
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
The cottage is on Montague Island and only accessible by NPWS-contracted commercial vessel tour operators. There is no private vessel access.
Boat transfers to the island are included in your accommodation package. More information on your transfer will be provided by the local NPWS office after booking. If you have not received additional information 1 week before your booking, please contact (02) 4476 0800 during office hours.
Transfers depart from Narooma wharf, Bluewater Drive, Narooma. All guests need to be able to independently climb the island’s jetty ladder and the steep hill that follows.
Montague Island is an offshore island. It can be cut off from the mainland vessel access due to sea and swell conditions thus delaying access to and from the Island. In some instances delays may involve several days. Please arrive well-prepared.
Park entry points
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
Parking is available at Narooma wharf.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you on Montague Island Nature Reserve. Here are some of the highlights.
New Zealand and Australian fur seals are at their peak on the island during spring, making this the perfect time for some seal-spotting. To tempt you even more, humpback whales can often be spotted along the coastline, and pods of dolphins come to play among the boats too – book a guided tour that includes whale watching for the best chance to spot this special sea mammal in its own environment From October huge numbers of shearwaters begin to arrive and nest on the island through the summer.
Soak up the summer sun on a guided tour of Montague Island and provides some of the best weather for photographs.
From late winter the seal colony on the island starts to grow, and you can watch penguins land at the viewing area on the evening tour of the island. It can get quite chilly in winter so pack warm clothes.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
15°C and 25°C
4°C and 16°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- The cottage is fully furnished and has a modern, fully-equipped kitchen, dining area, 2 showers, 2 toilets and wide verandahs, plus your own private courtyard.
- The fully-equipped kitchen has a microwave, toaster, kettle, fridge and freezer, gas oven and gas cook top (pots, pans, crockery and cutlery are provided).
- There is a gas barbecue with gas supplied.
- There is a gas heater with gas supplied.
- There is a TV.
- Bedding configuration: 5 bedrooms: 1 queen, 1 queen plus 1 king single, 2 king singles, 2 king single bunk beds, 2 king singles. 1 single roll-away bed is available if required.
- .All linen, towels and bedding is supplied.
- Please leave the property clean and tidy with all kitchen items washed up and put away. Additional fees may be charged for any unreasonable cleaning required or missing/broken items.
- Please place all rubbish in the recycling and garbage bins provided.
- Flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
- Hot showers
Montague Island uses solar power. Please avoid washing clothes during your stay, keep showering times to a minimum and turn off lights and appliances when you're not using them.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
Guests must be able to climb a ladder independently at the island jetty and walk up and down the Island’s steep and rocky terrain. Persons with mobility issues are asked to check when booking. Some activities require moderate fitness levels.
- Swimming directly from the island itself is not permitted.
- Amplified music is not permitted.
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
- Fires are not permitted, including in fireplaces.
Fishing directly from the Island itself is not permitted.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- in Montague Island Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Montague Island Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Please note that Montague Island is only accessible via one of NSW National Parks & Wildlife contracted commercial vessel tour operators (go to www.eurobodalla.com.au for details).
- Narooma office
02 4476 0800
Contact hours: Monday to Friday, 10am to 2pm. Closed public holidays.
- 9 Burrawang Street, Cnr Graham Street, Narooma NSW 2456
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Narooma office