Dawsons Spring cabins
Mount Kaputar National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Dawsons Spring cabins.
Getting there and parking
To access the cabins, you'll need the PIN code sent in your booking confirmation email. Call 13000 72757 if you haven't received your code.
Dawsons Spring cabins are in the Kaputar Plateau section of Mount Kaputar National Park. To get there:
- Travel east from Narrabri on Old Gunnedah Road
- After about 2.5km turn left onto Kaputar Road and continue for 30km to the park
- Once the road enters the park it becomes steep and winding for another 20km. Caravans and motorhomes are not permitted on this section of the road.
- After you reach the t-junction, turn right and take the next right into Dawsons Spring. The cabins will be located on your left.
- The drive will take you about 1 hour from Narrabri
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Designated parking for up to 2 vehicles per cabin is available next to the cabins. Additional vehicles can be parked in the nearby day use area.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Mount Kaputar National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
This is one of the best times of year to visit the park, with ideal temperatures for bush walking, cycling and camping.
A beautiful time of year to enjoy the abundant wildflowers and birds.
Escape the heat of the plains by heading up into the park.
Experience the mist surrounding the high plateau area and enjoy the beauty of the occasional blanketing of snow. Be prepared for the temperatures about 10°C cooler than in the nearby town of Narrabri.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
21°C and 35°C
7°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- There are 3 cabins and all are open plan with no separate bedrooms.
- The 3 cabins are next to each other with adjoining walls and staggered front entrances. The cabins are in the order of Logan, Manning and Dickson.
- Dickson cabin: 1 double bed and 2 single foam mattresses.
- Logan and Manning cabins: 1 double bed, 1 single bunk bed and 2 single foam mattresses (for use on floor).
- All mattresses have plastic protective covers.
- The cabins are fully self-contained with kitchenette, bathroom (hot shower and flush toilet), table with 4 chairs, fireplace (firewood supplied) and verandah.
- There is a fridge/freezer, microwave, stove cook-top, toaster, kettle, basic cooking utensils, cutlery, glassware and crockery.
- Please leave the property clean and tidy with all kitchen items washed up and put away. Additional fees may be charged for any unreasonable cleaning required or missing / broken items.
- Rubbish and recycling bins are available behind the cabins
- Flush toilets
Some water is available at the property but you’ll need to treat or boil it before drinking. Water is sourced from the Dawsons Spring.
- Hot showers
The cabins use mains power.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
Dickson cabin is wheelchair accessible with assistance as the PIN-coded rear entrance door has stairs. Ramp access is via the
front verandah. The bathroom and kitchen facilities are wheelchair friendly.
Logan cabin and Manning cabin are not wheelchair accessible.
Fires are permitted in the fireplaces only. Some firewood is provided for your cabin. There is a locked firewood box next to the cabins.
Caravans, motorhomes, chemical toilets and amplified music are not permitted.
Firewood can't be collected from the park.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.