Capertee Homestead - 'Port Macquarie'
Capertee National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Capertee Homestead - 'Port Macquarie'.
Getting there and parking
Capertee Homestead is in the northern part of Capertee National Park. To get there:
- Turn on to Port Macquarie Road (unsealed) from Glen Alice Road
- From the locked gate on the park boundary, follow Port Macquarie Road for 5km
- Upon arriving at Capertee River causeway, cross the river and take the road on the right to the cottage and homestead
Important: Follow the instructions and the map provided by NPWS. Don't use Google maps or GPS as this will give you an incorrect route and you may not be able to access the property.
After booking you'll get a code to open the park boundary gate and a door code to access the cottage. Contact 1300 072 757 if you have not received your codes.
Please be aware that the homestead is accessed by crossing Capertee River via a causeway. At times of very heavy rain, flooding may occur, preventing access to and from the homestead. Check the weather before you set out or contact Mudgee office.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Capertee Homestead.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Capertee National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
The cooler autumn months are an excellent time for walking and mountain biking the trails and tracks within the park.
Grab your binoculars for some superb birdwatching. You might catch a rare glimpse of the endangered regent honeyeater as it builds its nest.
Enjoy a relaxing picnic on the shady banks of Capertee River.
Enjoy a car tour of Capertee while taking in nearby Wollemi and Goulburn River National Parks.
- The homestead is fully furnished and has 4 bedrooms, a separate external bedroom, kitchen, dining room, living room with wood heater (firewood supplied), ducted air conditioning, 2 bathrooms with showers and toilets, external laundry and wrap-around verandah with outdoor seating.
- The homestead sleeps 10 people in 4 bedrooms: 1 Queen bed and 1 single bed, 1 Queen bed, 1 Queen bed and 1 single bed, and 2 single beds.
- The separate external bedroom sleeps 4 people: 1 double bed and 2 single beds. There is a heater in this room.
- Bed linen, towels, duvets and pillows are provided.
- The kitchen has a fridge and freezer, gas oven, toaster, kettle, dishwasher, crockery, cutlery, glassware and tea towels.
- There's a TV and DVD player but no TV reception.
- There's a gas barbecue and wood barbecue (firewood supplied).
- Hot and cold water suitable for washing and showering is provided. You need to bring water for drinking and cooking.
- Please leave the homestead clean and tidy and report any breakages, damage or maintenance issues to the Mudgee office.
- Bins are provided. Please recycle rubbish into appropriate bins.
- Flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
- Wood barbecues (firewood supplied)
- Hot showers
This property is connected to mains power.