Capertee National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Capertee Cottage.
Getting there and parking
Capertee Cottage is in the northern part of Capertee National Park. To get there:
- Turn on to Port Macquarie Road (unsealed) from Glen Alice Road
- From the locked gate on the park boundary, follow Port Macquarie Road for 5km
- Upon arriving at Capertee River causeway, cross the river and take the road on the right to the cottage and homestead
Important: Follow the instructions and the map provided by NPWS. Don't use Google maps or GPS as this will give you an incorrect route and you may not be able to access the property.
After booking you'll get a code to open the park boundary gate and a door code to access the cottage. Contact 1300 072 757 if you have not received your codes.
Please be aware that the cottage is accessed by crossing Capertee River via a causeway. At times of very heavy rain, flooding may occur, preventing access to and from the cottage. Check the weather before you set out or contact the Mudgee office.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Capertee Cottage.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Capertee National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
The cooler autumn months are an excellent time for walking and mountain biking the trails and tracks within the park.
Grab your binoculars for some superb birdwatching. You might catch a rare glimpse of the endangered regent honeyeater as it builds its nest.
Enjoy a relaxing picnic on the shady banks of Capertee River, or a refreshing paddle.
Enjoy a car tour of Capertee while taking in nearby Wollemi and Goulburn River National Parks.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
12.1°C and 25.5°C
10.4°C and 0.7°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- The cottage is fully furnished and has 2 bedrooms, an open plan kitchen, dining and living area, a bathroom, reverse cycle air conditioning and an outdoor area with seating and a gas barbecue.
- The kitchen has a fridge and freezer, oven, toaster, kettle, microwave, crockery, cutlery, glassware and tea towels.
- There's a TV and DVD player but no TV reception.
- Bed linen, towels, duvets and pillows are provided.
- Laundry facilities are available in an external building behind the nearby homestead.
- Hot and cold running water is available at the property. The water supply comes from rain water tanks, so please use water sparingly. Drinking water is untreated rain water, so you may need to treat or boil it before drinking.
- Please leave the cottage clean and tidy and report any breakages, damage or maintenance issues to the Mudgee office.
- Bins are provided. Please recycle rubbish into appropriate bins.
- Flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
- Hot showers
This property is connected to mains power.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.