The Welcome walk
Hunter Wetlands National Park
One of the great short walks of the Hunter region, The Welcome Walk takes you through the Hunter River estuary and is great for birdwatching or walking with children.
- Hunter Wetlands National Park
- 1km one-way
- Time suggested
- 20 - 40min
- Grade 2
- Opening times
- The Welcome walk is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- What to
- Sunscreen, hat, drinking water
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
- This walk takes you to the Schoolmasters House, which today is used as a base for the Kooragang Wetland Rehabilitation Project (KWRP). The KWRP undertakes conservation projects in the Hunter estuary and has an extensive volunteer program.
Did you know mangroves are excellent fish nurseries? That there is a plant called sea celery? Or that saltmarsh is classified as an Endangered Ecological Community? You can learn all about these issues and more on The Welcome walk in Hunter Wetlands National Park. Walking along the raised boardwalk, you’ll meander above the saltwater wetlands of the Hunter River estuary, maybe spotting a fish or two or crabs.
This short walk is ideal for walking with children. You can set your own gentle pace, peeking and pointing at the wildlife and exploring the intricate world beneath you. Birdwatch as you go – there will be plenty of water birds about – and check out the interesting grasses and aquatic plants within the saltmarsh ecosystem.
You’re bound to get some great photos any time you visit, but many say this walk is at its best in spring, when delicate cream-coloured flowers adorn the mangroves.
Take a virtual tour of The Welcome walk captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Newcastle office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4946 4100
- 1 Wetlands Place, Shortland NSW 2307
- in Hunter Wetlands National Park in the North Coast region
Hunter Wetlands National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.