The Needles walking track
Gibraltar Range National Park
All the practical information you need to know about The Needles walking track.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
2 - 3hrs
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
Getting there and parking
Mulligans campground, where The Needles walking track begins, is in Gibraltar Range National Park. To get there:
From Glen Innes:
- Drive 68km east towards Grafton along the Gwydir Highway
- Turn right on to unsealed Mulligans Drive and continue 10km to Mulligans campground, where this walk begins.
- Drive 92km west towards Glen Innes along the Gwydir Highway
- Turn left onto unsealed Mulligans Drive and continue 10km to Mulligans campground, where this walk begins.
- Mixture of sealed and unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Mulligans campground’s picnic area.
Check the Bicycle information for NSW website for more information.
By public transport
You can travel by bus from Glen Innes or Grafton to Gibraltar Range National Park. To plan your trip, visit the Transport NSW website.
- Toilets, picnic tables, barbecues, showers, and car parking are available at Mulligans campground, near the start of this walk.
- You’ll need to bring your own drinking water.
- There are no bins so you’ll need to take all rubbish away with you.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
Mountain biking is permitted on public roads, management trails and the World Heritage walk. Cycling is permitted on The Needles walking track between Mulligans Hut picnic area and Pidcocks trail only.
Pets and domestic animals (other than certified assistance animals) are not permitted. Find out which regional parks allow dog walking and see the pets in parks policy for more information.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Glen Innes office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6739 0700
- 68 Church Street, Glen Innes NSW 2370
- in Gibraltar Range National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Gibraltar Range National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather, road damage, or high fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park uses a self-registration fee collection system. Please bring the correct change and display your receipt.Buy annual pass