The Big Hole walking track
Deua National Park
It’s an adventurous walk from Berlang campground to the viewing platform at The Big Hole as long as you don’t mind getting your feet wet crossing Shoalhaven River along the way.
- Deua National Park
- 3.5km return
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Please note
- The weather can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you are well prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch.
In 1862, a young man called Boxall used four long saplings, a rope and a candle to explore a deep chasm out in the bushland of southeast NSW. The rubbly bottom he eventually landed on was 96m from the surface. Onlookers were all shaking their heads at his reckless behaviour but also itching to know what he’d found down there inside what is now known as The Big Hole.
Thought to be around 400 million years in the making, this is an extraordinary limestone marvel; a roofless cave which is over 100m deep and 50m wide. It can be reached by walking from Berlang campground, wading across Shoalhaven River, then continuing through dry eucalypt forest and unique nana heath, with expansive views of the park on your journey. The vast open chasm can be viewed from the lookout and, if you’re there in the early morning or late afternoon, you may see its resident lyrebird come out from its ferny grotto to feed. For a more challenging hike, carry on to Marble Arch or return to Shoalhaven River for a picnic and a swim.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Narooma office
- Monday to Friday, 10am to 2pm. Closed public holidays.
- 02 4476 0800
- 9 Burrawang Street, Cnr Graham Street, Narooma NSW 2456
- in Deua National Park in the South Coast, Country NSW and Snowy Mountains regions
Deua National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.