Murrumbooee Cascades walking track
Gibraltar Range National Park
Murrumbooee Cascades walking track, in Gibraltar Range National Park, is a hiking route to a scenic waterfall with birdwatching and swimming opportunities.
- Gibraltar Range National Park in North Coast, Country NSW
- 6km return
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 4
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Sunscreen, hat, drinking water
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching.
Walk the banks of Little Dandahra Creek, through eucalypt forest and rainforest, and arrive at a creek junction that narrows to where Murrumbooee Cascades plunge over the edge of the escarpment. This is the site of entrepreneur Bill Mulligan’s second weir, built in the 1920s, to measure waterflow from his proposed hydro-electric scheme. Keep an eye out along the way for lyrebirds, which inhabit the rainforest, and listen for the rare rufous scrub-bird. Binoculars will come in handy if you enjoy birdwatching.
During warmer weather, the crystal clear waters of Murrumbooee Cascades are an ideal place for a swim. Pack a picnic and spend a few hours in this superb section of Gibraltar Range National Park with family and friends, or just take some time out from everyone and everything.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Glen Innes office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6739 0700
- 68 Church Street, Glen Innes NSW 2370
- in Gibraltar Range National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Gibraltar Range National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather, road damage, or high fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park uses a self-registration fee collection system. Please bring the correct change and display your receipt.Buy annual pass