Mungo Rainforest walk
Myall Lakes National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Mungo Rainforest walk.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
15 - 45min
Quality of markings
Short steep hills
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
No experience required
Getting there and parking
Mungo Rainforest walk starts at Mungo Brush campground in the Bombah Broadwater precinct of Myall Lakes National Park. To get there:
- From Hawks Nest, follow Mungo Brush Road for approximately 25km and follow the signs to the campground.
- From the Pacific Highway, take Bombah Point Road (unsealed) to the ferry crossing
- Cross the water with Bombah Point ferry and continue along Mungo Brush Road for approximately 5km
- The campground is on the right hand side shortly after Dees Corner campground.
If you're travelling on the Bombah Point ferry, see the the prices here.
There are unsealed sections along Bombah Point Road (Lakes Road) from Bulahdelah.
Parking is available at Mungo Brush campground
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Myall Lakes National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
A good time to visit when the weather is a little cooler and the park is less busy.
Magnificent wildflower displays as they bloom across the heathlands.
Look for dolphins swimming among the waves.
Head to Sugarloaf Point to watch for whales on their annual migration.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
19°C and 27°C
10°C and 19°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Picnic tables, barbecues and toilet facilities are available at Mungo Brush campground, where this track starts.
Maps and downloads
Fees and passes
Bombah Point ferry fees -
The vehicle ferry at Bombah Point provides access across the lake (8am to 6pm daily, fees apply: cash only). Under strong winds the ferry may be closed. Contact the park office to check. Ferry fees:
- $2.50 per pedestrian
- $5.50 per motorbike
- $6.50 per car
- $6.50 caravan, trailer or boat trailer
- $10 per 4 tonne or larger vehicles
Disability access level - no wheelchair access
- Booti Booti Office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed public holidays.
- 02 6591 0300
- The Ruins campground, Booti Booti National Park, 4374 The Lakes Way, Booti Booti 2428
- in Myall Lakes National Park in the North Coast region
Myall Lakes National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day.
The park has coin/card operated pay machines at Mungo Brush campground. NPWS staff regularly visit areas to collect day use fees. Day passes are also available from the Manning Great Lakes Area Office, Bulahdelah Visitor Information Centre and the Hawks Nest Newsagency.
Bombah Point ferry fees may also apply (cash payment only).Buy annual pass