Mirri Mirru Yurun
Culgoa National Park
Mirri Mirru Yurun (River Bank walk) is an easy 1km walk along Culgoa River, with opportunities for wildlife viewing and a place to stop for a barbecue afterwards.
- Culgoa National Park
- 1km return
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr
- Grade 5
- What to
- Drinking water, sunscreen, hat
- Please note
- There's limited water available in this area, so you'll need to bring your own.
- Check the weather before you set out as the roads are susceptible to flooding
- This park is in a remote location, so please be well-prepared and tell a family member or friend about your travel plans.
- It’s a good idea to bring a topographic map and compass, or a GPS.
- There is no mobile reception in this park.
Mirri Mirri Yurun, also known as River Bank walk, follows the bank of Culgoa River, threading between majestic red gums. After a wet season, spring sees the ground flourish with wildflowers as well. This is an easy walk but a good one, offering a modest introduction to the park, and a chance to enjoy a stroll without having to worry too much about equipment. Nevertheless, make sure you take a hat and plenty of water.
You might want to bring binoculars for a spot of birdwatching too, or, if you’re artistically inclined, an easel with some paints: the landscape is fascinating around here, with rich soil and a stark palette of Australian outback colours. Expect to see gidgee and coolabah trees, with emus and native birds hanging around the waterholes.
After your relaxing walk, take advantage of the tables at Culgoa River campground, settling down to finish the day off with an afternoon picnic or a barbecue.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Bourke office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6830 0200
- 51-53 Oxley Street, Bourke NSW 2840
- in Culgoa National Park in the Outback NSW region
Culgoa National Park is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.