Metcalfes walking track
Crowdy Bay National Park
Get up close with nature on Metcalfes walking track, which links Indian Head and Kylies Beach in Crowdy Bay National Park. It's a family friendly hike and the kids might even spot a koala.
- Crowdy Bay National Park in North Coast
- 0.7km one-way
- Time suggested
- 15 - 45min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Please note
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat and take plenty of water.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch or whale watch.
- Strong rips and currents may be present at nearby Kylies Beach, so take care in the water and please supervise children at all times.
This track is perfect for introducing the kids to the wonders of nature. They’ll love the chance to spot a koala or two along the way. Metcalfes walking track links Kylies Beach campground and Indian Head campground in the northern section of Crowdy Bay National Park, near Port Macquarie.
Don't forget to stop at Kylies Hut for a look into the rustic writing retreat of Australian author Kylie Tennant.
In spring, the heath erupts with colourful wildflowers, attracting nectar-loving birds. Behind the dunes, native grasses give way to woodlands including tall trees such as blackbutt, brush box and paperbarks. Be sure to look high in the branches for koalas, glossy black-cockatoos and parrots.
Choose to begin the walk from Indian Head campground or Kylies Beach campground. If you’re walking to Kylies Beach, don’t forget to take your swimmers for a cool-off in the surf.
Take a virtual tour of Metcalfes walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Port Macquarie office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6588 5555 for general enquiries only, no bookings.
- 22 Blackbutt Road, Port Macquarie NSW 2444
- in Crowdy Bay National Park in the North Coast region
Crowdy Bay National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day.Buy annual pass
Things to do (16)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (8)
- Fishing (2)
- Historic heritage (1)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (4)
- Sightseeing (8)
- Surfing (5)
- Swimming (1)
- Walking (8)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (2)