Merrica River nature trail
Nadgee Nature Reserve
Fire affected area
Some areas of this park were affected by fire in 2019/2020. You’ll notice some changes to the landscape, as well as signs of recovery. Some areas may remain closed for longer to allow habitat to recover or because we’re repairing park infrastructure. Stay safe with these after-fire tips for visitors.
Those seeking a bushwalk through pristine landscapes and along deserted beaches swimming, fishing and picnicking on the way – should head to Merrica Creek nature trail.
- Nadgee Nature Reserve
- 8km return
- Time suggested
- 5 - 7hrs
- Grade 4
- What to
- Sunscreen, hat, drinking water
- Please note
- At the beginning of the walk, ensure your rinse your shoes at the boot-cleaning station to avoid bringing phytophthora or weeds into the reserve.
The area around the river mouth is virtually untouched, and those who explore the Merrica River nature trail will be rewarded by a changing landscape and the joy of discovery.
This is a long walk, so you’ll also want to bring your swimmers for a dip where the river meets the ocean – after you’ve crossed the creek, passed the waterfall and rockpools, and followed the fire trail through the eucalypt forest. Here, you’ll also see the vast expanses of beautiful Disaster Bay.
As you’re walking, watch for eastern water dragons sunning themselves on stones near the creek or marvel at the hermit crabs feeding on the beach at low tide. Merrica River also has a pair of resident sea eagles who can often be seen patrolling the river and coast for food.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Merimbula office
- Monday to Friday and some weekends during peak holiday periods, 10am to 3pm.
- 02 6495 5000
- 47 Merimbula Drive, cnr Sapphire Coast Drive, Merimbula NSW 2548
- in Nadgee Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Nadgee Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.