Little Bay to Smoky Cape
Hat Head National Park
Discover the beauty of the South West Rocks region on the Little Bay to Smoky Cape walk. Hike this 10km coast walk and enjoy sensational views.
- Hat Head National Park
- 10km one-way
- Time suggested
- 3 - 5hrs
- Grade 5
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, sunscreen, hat
- Please note
- Starting at Overshot Dam at Little Bay, follow the ridge to The Gap Beach and Smoky Cape tracks. A one-way journey can take up to four hours.
- You may wish to bring your camera and keep an eye out for whales and birds as you go
If you’re an adventurous walker, you’ll love the Little Bay to Smoky Cape walk.
This 10km coastal track begins near Little Bay picnic area in Arakoon National Park, near Kempsey on the north coast of NSW. Start at historic Overshot Dam, where you can feed the ducks before setting off. Then simply follow the ridge to The Gap Beach and Smoky Cape tracks.
As you walk you’ll come across beautiful, diverse scenery including heathland, rainforest and grassy woodland. Depending on the season, you might see wildflower displays or spot whales from the cliffs.
When you arrive at Smoky Cape, head to Captain Cook’s lookout for a picnic lunch and a tour of the lighthouse. Or you can always do the walk in reverse and finish at the picnic area at Little Bay.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Trial Bay Gaol Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6566 6168
- Trial Bay Goal Access Road, Arakoon, NSW 2431
- in Hat Head National Park in the North Coast region
Hat Head National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day at Hungry Head and Smoky Beach. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins.Buy annual pass