Kinchega Homestead billabong walk
Kinchega National Park
Kinchega Homestead billabong walk packs in history, wildlife spotting and outback scenery as it follows the billabong to the Darling River, in Kinchega National Park.
- No wheelchair access
- 2.3km loop
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Please take care on the track as there are short, steep sections and the ground can be uneven and slippery.
- This walk crosses the path of the billabong, and may be closed when water levels are high.
- Check the weather conditions before you set out and try to avoid the heat of the day.
Starting from the Old Kinchega Homestead carpark, this walk journeys through thick scrub, open sand plains, river red gum forest and wetlands, as it traces the banks of the tranquil billabong.
Learn more about the rich pastoral heritage and Aboriginal culture of the outback while passing through the historic Homestead ruins, and see remnants of ancient Aboriginal sites including scar trees and middens.
Kinchega National Park and its waterways are a magnet for birdlife and native animals, so be sure to keep an eye out for emus, kangaroos, kestrels, galahs and goannas on your way along the billabong to the Darling River. From here, the track loops back to the carpark.
You can also start this walking track from campsite 34 on River Drive.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
NPWS is working with the Menindee Aboriginal Elders Council to protect the age-old Aboriginal heritage of this region through the Kinchega National Park Memorandum of Understanding and Joint Management Program.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Broken Hill office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed 1pm to 2pm.
- 08 8084 2880
- 183 Argent Street, Broken Hill NSW 2880
- in Kinchega National Park in the Outback NSW region
Kinchega National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park has a pay and display envelope payment system - please bring correct coins.Buy annual pass