Kaputar Plateau walk
Mount Kaputar National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Kaputar Plateau walk.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Short steep hills
Quality of path
No experience required
Getting there and parking
Kaputar Plateau walk is in Kaputar precinct within Mount Kaputar National Park. To get there:
- From Narrabri take Old Gunnedah Road south
- After about 2.5km turn left onto Kaputar Road
- Follow Kaputar Road for 27km to Mount Kaputar National Park entrance
- Bark Hut turn-off is 14km on the right
- Rocky Plateau trail trackhead is 2km beyond Bark Hut on the right
With 2 cars you can leave one at Bark Hut and the other at the start of Rocky Plateau Fire Trail, you can then enjoy the 6km down hill walk between the trailhead to Bark Hut. Otherwise it’s 2km up the main road back to your starting point.
Parking is available at the Rocky Plateau trail trackhead.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Mount Kaputar National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
This is one of the best times of year to visit the park, with ideal temperatures for bush walking, cycling and camping.
A beautiful time of year to enjoy the abundant wildflowers and birds.
Escape the heat of the plains by heading up into the park.
Experience the mist surrounding the high plateau area and enjoy the beauty of the occasional blanketing of snow. Be prepared for the temperatures about 10°C cooler than in the nearby town of Narrabri.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
21°C and 35°C
7°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Maps and downloads
- Rock climbing is permitted. Conditions apply – so please contact the Narrabri office on (02) 6792 7300 for more information.
- The park entrance is steep and a single lane, caravans are not permitted.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.