Historic Nightcap walking track
Whian Whian State Conservation Area
All the practical information you need to know about Historic Nightcap walking track.
Grade 4Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
1 - 2 days
Quality of markings
Quality of path
Rough track, many obstacles
Getting there and parking
Historic Nightcap walking track is in the western precinct of Nightcap National Park. To get there:
- Take Sibley Street and drive past Nimbin Bowling Club
- Turn onto Gungas Street and continue for 1.5km, then turn right onto Tuntable Falls Road - signposted ‘Mount Nardi’.
- Travel a further 4.2km, past Upper Tuntable Falls Road intersection, where the road turns onto Newton Drive.
- Continue for approximately 4.8km to the park entrance, and another 1km to Mount Nardi carpark.
From the eastern park entrance (via Rosebank):
- Take Minyon Drive, past Minyon Falls picnic area, over the causeway.
- Continue along Minyon Drive until you reach the Peates Mountain Road intersection
- Turn right onto Peates Mountain Road – the track is approximately 100m to the north (approximately 4km).
From the southern park entrance on Nightcap Range Road (via Dunoon):
- Continue north up Nightcap Range Road to the top of the range
- Turn left onto Peates Mountain Road – the track is approximately 100m north (approximately 5km).
Parking is available at Mount Nardi carpark.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Nightcap National Park. Here are some of the highlights: Weather in the northern rivers region is generally mild in winter ranging to hot in summer. It can be very wet (the park receives the highest annual rainfall in NSW) and misty so check local weather conditions and pack suitable clothes as well as a hat, sunscreen and insect repellent.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
18°C and 29°C
6°C and 19°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Drinking water is not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
Maps and downloads
- Alstonville office
- Thursday, 9:30am to 4:30pm.
- 02 6627 0200
- Russelton Industrial Estate, 7 Northcott Crescent, Alstonville NSW 2477