Headland walking track
Saltwater National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Headland walking track.
Features of this track
15 - 30min
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
No experience required
Flat: The walk is flat along its length with a handrail at the end where the lookout is.
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles: The walk is along a 1.2m wide firetrail, which is hard-packed ground up to the lookout at the end.
At the lookout area, the track becomes a wooden boardwalk with wooden handrails on either side.
Getting there and parking
Headland walking track starts at Saltwater picnic area in Saltwater National Park. To get there:
- Take Old Bar Road from Taree/Pacific Highway
- Drive 10km east and turn right onto Saltwater Road
- Follow Saltwater Road past the village of Wallabi Point
- Saltwater picnic area is at the end of Saltwater Road
There's a bitumen carpark at Saltwater picnic area where the walk begins. It can be a busy place on the weekend, so parking might be limited.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Saltwater National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Take walks around the headland and through to adjoining Khappinghat Nature Reserve.
Enjoy whale watching from the viewing platform at Saltwater Point from August through November.
Swim, surf and sunbathe on the beaches, canoe and kayak in the creek, or enjoy a picnic on the grass under the shady rainforest trees.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
17°C and 29°C
8°C and 21°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
There are accessible toilets, accessible outdoor showers and accessible picnic tables at Saltwater picnic area, where this walk begins.
Seats and resting points
There's a bench at the lookout at the end of the walk. It does not have a backrest or armrests.
There's also a bench seat with a backrest at Saltwater picnic area, at the start of this walk.
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
- The walk is along a flat, 1.2m wide firetrail, which is hard-packed ground up to the lookout at the end. At the lookout area, the track becomes a wooden boardwalk with wooden handrails on either side.
- There's a bench seat at the lookout. It doesn't have backrests or armrests.
- There are accessible toilets, outdoor showers and picnic tables at Saltwater picnic area where this walk begins.
- Taree office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6552 4097
- 78 Hargreaves Drive, Taree NSW 2430