Great North walk - Watagans National Park
Watagans National Park
The section of Great North walk in Watagans National Park features great scenic lookouts and wonderful birdwatching. It is best suited to experienced bushwalkers.
- Watagans National Park
- 10km one-way
- Time suggested
- 2 - 3hrs
- Grade 5
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water, snacks, binoculars
- Please note
- This park is in a remote location, so please ensure you’re well-prepared, bring appropriate clothing and equipment and advise a family member or friend of your travel plans.
- The walking opportunities in this park are suitable for experienced bushwalkers who are comfortable undertaking self-reliant hiking.
- It's a good idea to bring a topographic map and compass, or a GPS.
Great North walk is a much-loved, iconic bushwalk that was created in order to celebrate the Bicentennial year of 1988. It travels all the way from Sydney to Newcastle, following through not only Watagans National Park, but also Jilliby State Conservation Area and Brisbane Water National Park. Walkers can opt to enjoy short sections of it or do the entire thing in around 14 days.
The section that falls within the Watagans travels along Georges Road in the northern section of the park. Here, you can enjoy astonishing views to the north from Narrow Place lookout out over Quorrobolong to Ellalong, Cessnock and Kurri Kurri and a section of bushland alive with wonderful birdlife. The walk is best suited to experienced hikers.
A nearby campsite on private property, known as Barraba Trig, is available to walkers. Just be sure to bring your own firewood.
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
Are you planning a bushwalk, going somewhere remote or where the weather is extreme? Stay safe by planning your trip for all conditions and telling someone about it.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Lake Munmorah office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4pm.
- 02 4972 9000
- 1 Blue Wren Drive, Wybung NSW 2259
- in Watagans National Park in the North Coast region
Watagans National Park is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather, roads closures or high fire danger.