Gap Beach walking track
Gap Beach walking track is a challenging walk offering birdwatching, swimming, fishing, and scenic views in Hat Head National Park near South West Rocks.
- 6km return
- Time suggested
- 2 - 3hrs
- Grade 5
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch or whale watch.
If you’re after a heart-pumping trek, then grab your hiking boots and head for Gap Beach walking track, in Hat Head National Park. Near South West Rocks, it’s a great walk for experienced bushwalkers, birdwatchers, and those who love a challenge.
The track starts from Overshot Dam at Little Bay picnic area, the Dam once supplied water to historic Trial Bay Gaol and the surrounding township. Winding steeply through heathland, you’ll climb Little Smoky Mountain before descending through a forest of grass trees and rare coastal rainforest to North Gap Beach.
After you’ve worked up a sweat, dive in for a refreshing swim in the clear waves. Tuck into a leisurely picnic in the shade of the palms as you scan the ocean for frolicking dolphins. Osprey and sea-eagles are often spotted flying above the nearby shores.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Trial Bay Gaol Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6566 6168
- 73 Trial Bay Gaol Road, Arakoon NSW 2431
- in Hat Head National Park in the North Coast region
Hat Head National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day.Buy annual pass
- in Arakoon National Park in the North Coast region
Arakoon National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.