Furber Steps-Scenic Railway walking track
Katoomba area in Blue Mountains National Park
The steep Furber Steps-Scenic Railway walking track offers scenic views, waterfalls, birdwatching, a visit to Katoomba Falls, and the chance to ride the Scenic Railway in Blue Mountains National Park.
- Katoomba area in Blue Mountains National Park
- 2.4km return
- Time suggested
- 1 - 2hrs
- Grade 3
- For information regarding the price of Scenic Railway tickets contact Scenic World.
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water, gps, compass, topographic map
- Please note
The last departure for the day on the Scenic Railway is 4.50pm.
If you love places where mountains and water meet, try this popular track into Jamison Valley in Blue Mountains National Park. The difficult Furber Steps-Scenic Railway walking track is full of superb views and a brilliant day trip for walkers who love a challenge with a scenic view.
Descending through the valley, you’ll enter a world of lush rainforest and cascading waterfalls. Stopping to gaze across at majestic Mount Solitary rising out of the valley floor, you might hear the call of the catbird or wompa pigeon. Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch.
Explore the lush valley on a number of short detours, making sure to stop for a memorable picnic beside the tumbling waters of Katoomba Falls. The opportunity to take the world-famous Scenic Railway or Scenic Cableway back to the top might just be too irresistible. However, if you’re after more heart-pumping action, return back up the stairs.
Take a virtual tour of Furber Steps-Scenic Railway walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Bush Trackers was created to encourage children to engage with the environment in and around the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage area. This program highlights the natural and cultural splendour of the greater Blue Mountains through education initiatives and bushwalks.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Blue Mountains Heritage Centre and Blackheath office
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4787 8877
- End of Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath NSW 2785
- in the Katoomba area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Katoomba area is always open but some locations may close at times due to maintenance, poor weather or fire danger.