Clover Hill trail
Macquarie Pass National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Clover Hill trail.
Grade 5Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
2 - 3hrs
Quality of markings
No directional signage
Short steep hills
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
The trackhead is at the northern edge of Cascades picnic area. From Sydney and Wollongong:
- Take the Princes Highway and Southern Freeway to the Illawarra Highway turnoff at Haywards Bay
- Travel about 14km along the Illawarra Highway, which veers right in Albion Park, to Macquarie Pass National Park.
- After passing the Macquarie Pass National Park sign at the bottom of Macquarie Pass, travel 2.2km further along the highway.
- Clover Hill Road is signposted on the left and the carpark is at the start of the trail
- Take the Illawarra Highway east to reach Macquarie Pass National Park and Cascades picnic area
- Clover Hill Road is signposted on the right, 5km after the Macquarie Pass National Park sign on the first hairpin bend, and the carpark is at the start of the trail.
- Please be careful turning off and entering the Illawarra Highway at Clover Hill Road, as visibility is limited by the windy road.
Park entry points
- Clover Hill carpark See on map
Parking is available in the designated carpark. It can be a busy place on the weekend, so parking might be limited.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Macquarie Pass National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Take on some longer walks and see the lilly pillys fruiting.
Smell the sweet scent of flowering pittosporum and wattle throughout the park.
Walk in the cool of the rainforest and see the Illawarra flame trees and coachwoods in flower.
Enjoy the early wattle blooming at the edge of the forest and bring your binoculars for the bird activity of late winter.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
18°C and 25°C
8°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
- Wheelchairs can access this area with some difficulty
- The road is reasonably level but can be muddy or covered in thick leaf litter.
- Firewood may not be collected from the park
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Wollongong office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4224 4188
- Unit G Ground Floor, 84 Crown Street, Wollongong NSW 2500