Castle Rocks walk
Munghorn Gap Nature Reserve
It’s an easy hike along Castle Rocks walk to the lookout for wonderful scenic views of the sandstone pagoda features found at Munghorn Gap Nature Reserve.
- 8.5km return
- Time suggested
- 3 - 5hrs
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- You'll need to bring your own drinking water
- Sections of this reserve are isolated, so please ensure you’re well-prepared, bring appropriate clothing and equipment and advise a family or friend of your travel plans.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
Hiking Castle Rocks walk has its rewards. Not only will you be breathing in the fresh air of Munghorn Gap and getting fit, but superb scenic views await you when you reach the end. From the lookout, you’ll see some of the amazing sandstone pagoda features found throughout the park.
As you follow this walking route, you’ll notice that the eucalypt and native pine bushland around you is teeming with birdlife. See how many different types you can spot while birdwatching during your hike. Also, remember to look carefully in the trees and on the ground for signs of nests, which are as varied as the birds themselves. Some even live in tree trunks, in the hole left behind when an old branch drops off.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Mudgee office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4:30pm.
- 02 6370 9000
- 27 Inglis Street, Mudgee NSW 2850
- in Munghorn Gap Nature Reserve in the Country NSW region
Munghorn Gap Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.