Barokee to Native Dog Creek walk
Cathedral Rock National Park
Fire affected area
Some areas of this park were affected by fire in 2019/2020. You’ll notice some changes to the landscape, as well as signs of recovery. Some areas may remain closed for longer to allow habitat to recover or because we’re repairing park infrastructure. Stay safe with these after-fire tips for visitors.
This track is the longest in Cathedral Rock National Park. It links Barokee and Native Dog campgrounds and takes in both Woolpack Rocks and Cathedral Rock along the way.
- Cathedral Rock National Park
- 10.4km one-way
- Time suggested
- 4 - 6hrs
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well prepared for your visit.
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Barokee to Native Dog walk can become boggy when it rains
- You'll need to bring your own drinking water
- There's limited mobile reception in this park
Barokee to Native Dog Creek walk links Cathedral Rock National Park’s two campgrounds and takes in Woolpack Rocks and Cathedral Rock. The track follows the Snowy Range and is a moderate grade apart from when you climb the rock features.
The track passes through subalpine woodland, open forest, heath and boulder fields. For birdwatchers there is no better track; woodland birds are plentiful here and you’re likely to see honeyeaters, pardalotes, robins, treekeepers, rosellas and lorikeets. Wedge-tailed eagles often circle the granite tors. Be sure to bring your binoculars.
There are a number of options for tackling this track, which can be started from either Barokee campground or Native Dog campground. You might leave your vehicle at one end then camp the night at the other and retrace your steps the next day, car shuffle for a one-way day walk, or hike the return 20.8km in one go.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Glen Innes office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6739 0700
- 68 Church Street, Glen Innes NSW 2370
- in Cathedral Rock National Park in the Country NSW region
Cathedral Rock National Park is always open, but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.