Bairne walking track
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Long and easy Bairne walking track takes you to 2 scenic lookouts, with stunning views over Pittwater and The Basin, in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- 9.6km return
- Time suggested
- 3hrs - 3hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen, snacks, binoculars
This long and easy walk along the ridgelines boasts some of the best views in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. Make a day of it, gather your friends and pack a picnic lunch for a revitalising day in the Australian bush. A spectacular walk in spring, the wildflowers make for excellent birdwatching.
Bairne walking track starts from West Head Road, passing through heathlands of banksia, boronia and grevillea. Look for nectar-loving yellow-faced honeyeaters and the vibrant variegated wren. After around 2.5km, you'll reach an intersection. Head south for 1km to Towlers Bay lookout, for magnificent views of Towlers Bay and Pittwater.
Return to the intersection and follow Soldiers Point track around 1.3km to the lookout, where you'll have a brilliant view of The Basin and northern Pittwater. Choose a spot and unpack a hamper for a leisurely bush picnic, before heading back to your start point.
Take a virtual tour of Bairne walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Forestville Office
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
- 02 9451 3479
- 82 Ferguson Street, Forestville NSW 2087
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).
A $3 per adult, $2 per child landing fee may apply for day visitors to The Basin campground. Please pay at the campground wharf. Landing fees are included in your camping fees.Buy annual pass