Kengal (The Rock) Picnic Area
The Rock Nature Reserve - Kengal Aboriginal Place
All the practical information you need to know about Kengal (The Rock) Picnic Area.
Getting there and parking
The Rock picnic area is in The Rock Nature Reserve – Kengal Aboriginal Place. To get there:
- From Wagga Wagga, follow the Sturt Highway west
- Turn left onto the Olympic Highway
- Continue to The Rock and turn right onto Urana Street
- Heading out of town this becomes Lockhart -The Rock Road
- Continue for approximately 2.5km
- Turn left into The Rock Nature Reserve – Kengal Aboriginal Place and continue for approximately 500m to the picnic area.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at The Rock picnic area including bus parking.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in The Rock Nature Reserve Kengal Aboriginal Place. Here are some of the highlights.
Cooler days after the high heat of summer make this the perfect season to take advantage of the picnic area, stretching out beneath the red gums.
Spring sees the park bloom with wildflowers, including woolly ragwort, a threatened species native to the area.
The crisp clear air of winter provides views from the top of The Rock that sometimes stretch all the way to Mount Kosciuszko; this is the best season for walking.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
13.9°C and 28.5°C
4°C and 13.5°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Flush toilets
- Gas/electric barbecues (free)
Maps and downloads
- Tumut Region Visitor Centre
- 9am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6947 7025
- The Old Butter Factory, 5 Adelong Road, Tumut NSW 2720